Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Focus on My Smile

Imagine I have a beautiful face and a big butt. Am I going to spend all of my time telling men not to look at my butt? Ironically, drawing even more attention to it as I try to downplay it. Telling them that it isn't as big as they think? In other words, actively telling them that they are wrong. Or am I going to smile? Melt the room with warm laughter. Put on lipstick and draw attention to my best feature, the one that men will love?

I believe the best marketing focuses on who you are and what you stand for, rather than what you are not. Sounds crazy, right? But think about how much marketing is based on a what a product and therefore a brand isn't. It always fascinates me.

My hypothesis is that it happens most for brands and products that customers know well. There are two instances when this really seems to kick into gear: one, a company tries to grow or expand into new categories they aren't known for or two, when they are trailing a competitor who is very clear about that competitor's strength. In both situations, the company goes into focus groups and hears customers tell them this. Not surprisingly, people's impressions are largely built on the marketing and experience that brand did to create them. All of a sudden it seems like a weakness, when it may just be the success of what they just spent time and focus creating. As their internal business goals change or a market heats up, the company may turn around for the next 5 years and tell customers that isn't "just" who they are.

Some do this evolution or entry into new areas elegantly. Google's product is synonymous with search and their brand ideal is to organize and democratize the world's information. Now they are educating about Chrome. They're doing it through stories like It Gets Better or Dear Sophie. IBM meant hardware and then they needed to reinvent themselves and reorient their brand to business services through a Smarter Planet.  I am a huge fan of both of these campaigns. I know exactly what they do rationally as well as their higher purpose in the world and their ideals.

But other brands do this by focusing on the negative or even worse, being defensive about their competitor's point of difference and strength. Ironically, even though these brands are listening to customers and it may come from a good place, the intent isn't translating in execution. They are looking at the customer insight too much through the lens of their business goals, rather than their brand promise. (See earlier post Listening Wrong is As Bad As Not Listening. The best communications start with a guiding customer insight: a forward-looking, fundamental truth that connects with your customers and your brand. The guiding insight is informed from customer research, as well as a connection to a brand's promise.) And as my very refined grandmother used to say, "Sweetheart, their slip is showing" in the marketplace. Their communications can appear completely focused on the company's agenda, not the customers'. Even worse, if it orients them to their competitors instead of their unique, ownable space. And it can fall wrong if not executed well, since it sounds like the company is telling the majority of customers they are wrong. It happens all the time. Start looking for it. I call it "Not Just" or "More Than" marketing.

The most meaningful brands--and personal reputations for that matter--to me aren't built on what they aren't. They focus on what they are. What they are best at and why they are different and special. They focus on their smile.

Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite soda of all time. I don't like to showcase negative examples ever. I just don't do it. I know somewhere there is a creative team or marketing manager proud behind every piece of work and a mother who is even prouder. I figured I could do it here for this little exception because my DP addiction probably paid for it. Thanks @EuniLuni for sending it my way. Obviously, Dr. Pepper heard in focus groups that men don't drink diet because it is "for women"...



__________________________________
Addition February 27, 2012:
This was such a perfect example from one of my favorite little places that I couldn't help but add it. You can see why customers thought for years they were just bagels. It's in their name. And then they added "more than" just bagels. But what more? dinner? lunch salads? a full bakery? delivery? a coffee shop? a convenience store? a gas station?


1 comment:

  1. There is a wonderful Arabic proverb that says, roughly, "The peacock is very happy because he looks at his plumage which is very beautiful, and not at his feet which are very ugly."

    ReplyDelete