Monday, October 31, 2011

What River Phoenix Can Teach Us

I heard this story about the late actor River Phoenix years and years ago. They said he was an extremely smart guy. Because he started his career young, he hadn't read a lot of the classics. So every time he realized something, he believed it was the first time it had ever been thought.

I'm not hatin' on River. Stand By Me was great. I'm not even sure this is true. But it made me think about the power of the obvious. I really feel that way about so much in marketing. It always amazes me how often it comes back to the basics: relationships, authenticity, creating value, differentiation, simplicity, true customer care... That realization can be freeing, and I hope it gives you confidence.

The magic is in what you do with that knowledge and how you act on it. How do you make sure you are still meaningful and significant to people as the world changes rapidly? How do you do it in an inventive way that has never been done before?

Learn faster, so you can do more. Don't overcomplicate the basics. Take a moment to allow for your instinct to surface and then trust it, especially if it seems obvious. No analysis paralysis. Focus your time and energy on executing meaningfully. That will be hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment